Project Request and CPMS Questions

What is a project? What isn’t a project?

A project is a request to augment, renovate or build new space. Projects require funding in order to complete, and must be coordinated by UCR to ensure that all regulatory requirements are completed.

There are some requests that are not projects. A department can submit a request for a work order to request renovations or maintenance work from Facilities Services. These requests do not require funding in order to complete, and are covered in the Service-Level Agreements under the new budget model. To submit a work order, you will need to use the FAMIS system.

For more information about project types, visit the Project Information page.


2. How do I request to start a project?

To request a project, it is important to first understand what type of information is required to complete your request. You can learn more at the Project Information page. If you are not sure what type of project request to complete, visit the Project Request Quiz to conduct a self-diagnostic.

The Project Intake Process requires unit-level and campus prioritization. Coordinate with your unit leadership team on project requests early in order to maximize your efforts.


3. Who has the ability to request a project? What do I do if I cannot submit a request?

Project requests are routed through the CPMS system. Departments grant CPMS access to representatives in their area to coordinate, review and provide preliminary approval to their request.

If you do not have CPMS access, you will not be able to submit a project request. Please contact your department for assistance in submitting a project request or review the Project Request Quiz for more information..


4. I don’t understand how to use CPMS. Where can I get training?

Information about CPMS and tutorials on how to use the system are available here. There are also regular trainings on CPMS throughout the year. For more information, contact Architects & Engineers for assistance.


5. How can I give someone access to request a project?

If you would like to grant someone access to request a project through CPMS, contact your unit senior leader to request an update to the Enterprise Access System.


6. Where is my project in the queue if it isn’t in the Master Schedule?

Projects that have been prioritized by campus and are in progress can be viewed on the Master Schedule. Projects that are not on this list have been requested but are still in the approval and prioritization stage. Requesters can look at CPMS to get a status update on the project or contact Architects & Engineers for more information.


7. My project will not be completed in the timeline that my department requires. Can I hire a contractor to do it instead?

If a project will not be completed in the timeline requested by the department, the project owner can work with Facilities Services to address the timeline. Facilities Services may hire a contractor to address capacity concerns. However, an individual department cannot hire a contractor to complete a project. All projects must be completed through UCR to ensure compliance with all regulatory requirements.


8. Who should I select as the "Primary Contact" in CPMS?

Projects are requested in CPMS by one person, but are often coordinated and authorized by other people within the department or organization. To ensure proper communication and continuity, please select primary and secondary contacts for the project based on your organization's preferences.


Project Scope and Design

 1. Why was my project sent to A&E?

Projects that require electrical, plumbing and mechanical system upgrades or that repurposes a room must go through A&E to ensure that the original room/building is compliant for the repurposing of the room/building. Mechanical system upgrades are “MEP”, mechanical, electrical or plumbing projects are regularly required even for repurposing of an existing room/building due to the various air change, exhaust, supply, humidity, electrical, drainage and water service requirements needed for the new use to operate correctly. In the research environment, specific requirements for each of these items is needed in a variety of occupancies This could include air conditioning, electrical outlets in the ceiling, adding chilled water lines or ventilation projects as noted.


2. What is an engineering study?

An engineering study is a form of a feasibility study that concentrates on structure and/or mechanical, electrical and plumbing systems. An engineering study may also include seismic evaluation.

Project Estimates

1. How do I determine how much my project should cost?

Total project cost can vary based on project scope, building materials and condition, among other factors. Project cost planning numbers are available for some projects. For more information or a cost consultation, you can schedule a triage consultation with Architects & Engineers or Facilities Services.

A Preliminary Cost Planning Tool is available to understand project scope and preliminary cost planning at the point of a project request. However, this information does not represent a formal cost estimate for the project.


2. How do I determine how long my project will take to complete?

When a project is submitted to R’Projects, it must first be vetted by the unit senior leader and prioritized based on unit-level priorities. After submission, it will be prioritized by the campus based on campus-level priorities and assigned to the appropriate department based on project type. Projects will be assigned and completed based on work capacity.

Major or capitalizable projects are assigned to CAS and A&E and must follow the project life cycle. Timeline can vary based on the project type; for more information contact Architects & Engineers.

Requests for maintenance or repairs are generally assigned to Facilities Services and are scheduled based on capacity after maintenance requests, which account for ~80% of the workload within the department. These requests may be assigned to A&E if it is defined as a project or requires a renovation of the space.


3. What would make my project cost more than the estimate?

There are a variety of reasons why an estimate may differ from the actual costs of a project, including the value of actual bids received that are based in part on the construction environment at the time (such as availability of materials, labor and competition).

At times, additional construction within a project can increase costs compared to the original estimate. These additions can include walls, cabinetry, plumbing, electrical and mechanical materials, equipment, work or other items requested by the client and added to the project or required to be added to the construction project after the original estimate was completed.

Additional project costs may exceed estimates due to concealed, non-compliant or non-operational items within existing construction, structures, areas and/or premises which cannot be seen prior to the commencement of construction, and which are found during construction, must be corrected, replaced or repaired.


4. What is the difference between construction costs and project costs?

Project costs are the comprehensive costs to complete a project. This includes the construction cost, planning cost, cost for sub-consultants, testing and inspection, as well as UCR overhead costs.

Construction costs outline the cost of the work to complete the construction. This mainly focuses on labor and materials costs.


5. Why does it seem that it is more expensive to have UCR complete a project, and that I can hire a contractor for much less?

The University must comply with its policies and the law regarding posting schedules and timeframes, planning and environmental compliance, competitive bidding, prevailing wages, insurance, warranty and bonding requirements, and all California Building, plumbing, mechanical, electrical, energy as well as state health and safety standards.  The University must also ensure that the activities and end product are coordinated with other, often competing, functions and systems on the campus.  Also, electrical, plumbing, alarm, security systems, landscaping and mechanical systems shut downs must be timed and coordinated with Facility personnel and their schedules. Further information can be found here.

Capital Planning for Projects

1. What is the difference between a major and minor capital project?

Minor Capital Improvement Projects are those projects with a total project cost of $35,000 up to $749,999. Projects with a total project cost of $750,000 or higher are categorized Major Capital Improvement Projects. For more information visit the Capital Planning for Projects page.


2. What is the Capital Projects Committee?

The Capital Projects Committee (CPC) provides advice to campus senior leadership with respect to: strategic priorities for capital improvement plans and budgets; major capital improvement projects; and physical planning and capital development of the UC Riverside campus. The CPC is comprised of the Vice Chancellors and typically meets quarterly to review campus development plans and capital requirements.


3. What is the Academic Capital Projects Committee?

The Academic Capital Projects Committee provides advice to the Provost with respect to strategic priorities for capital improvement plans and budgets and space needs for academic projects. The ACPC is comprised of the academic Deans and University Librarian, and meet on a quarterly basis.

Facilities Policies and Laws

1. What is ADA?

The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) is a civil rights law that prohibits discrimination against individuals with disabilities in all areas of public life, including jobs, schools, transportation, and all public and private places that are open to the general public. The purpose of the law is to make sure that people with disabilities have the same rights and opportunities as everyone else. With respect to renovation and construction the focus is mainly on architectural access and path of travel. Renovations may trigger the need for ADA upgrades in the renovated space and adjacent spaces to ensure compliance to this law.


2. What is Title 24?

Title 24 of the California Code of Regulations, known as the California Building Standards Code or just "Title 24," contains the regulations that govern the construction of buildings in California. Visit the California Building Standards Commission (CBSC) website (click "CODES") for information regarding where to find or purchase any part of Title 24. The 2013 edition of the California Building Standards Code (Title 24) became effective on January 1, 2014. Projects submitted to DSA on or after this date must be designed and constructed in compliance with the 2013 edition of Title 24.

The 2016 edition of the California Building Standards Code (Title 24) will become effective on January 1, 2017. Projects submitted to DSA on or after this date must be designed and constructed in compliance with the 2016 edition of Title 24.


3. Why does a Fire Marshal come and inspect our building?

The Designated Campus Fire Marshal and his staff conduct regular inspections to review fire and life safety requirements and accommodations in buildings across campus.

Building Conditions and Materials

1. What is asbestos?

Asbestos refers to a set of six naturally occurring fibrous minerals that has been used in various building materials. If the asbestos containing building material is in good condition, there is no health risk. When it is in poor condition or disturbed, asbestos becomes friable and must be properly managed in accordance with strict state and federal requirements and processes. If you believe that asbestos has been disturbed in your area, please contact Environmental Health & Safety x25528, for assistance.


2. What is lead paint?

Lead paint or lead-based paint is paint containing lead. If the paint is in good condition, there is no health risk. When it is in poor condition or disturbed during renovation, it must be properly managed in accordance with strict state and federal requirements and processes. If you believe that lead paint has been disturbed in your area, please contact Environmental Health & Safety x25528, for assistance.


3. What are my options to deal with these types of building conditions?

Abatement includes the removal or enclosing or encapsulating of friable particles of asbestos or other hazardous materials, such as lead paint. Renovations that require abatement must follow strict state and federal guidelines in order to protect the renovation and construction crew that disturb these materials.

Space-related questions

1. How can I create a project that could result in a more efficient use of my space?

If your unit would like to use current space more effectively or create a project that also uses current space more effectively, Capital Asset Strategies provide resources to identify options. Space data is available in the campus Executive Space Report, which is available to senior unit leadership. The Space Report provides summary-level room information and outlines metrics that identify opportunities to use space more effectively. Best Practices are available to provide example solutions for how to use shared space, hoteling, or other options in order to use space more effectively. You can also contact the Client Engagement Office to request a consultation with the Facilities team or Campus Planner.

2. Are there red flags I should be aware of when I request a new project that would change how space is used?

If a project request includes changes to building infrastructure, such as removing a fume hood or changing from an office to research space type, then there may be space implications that should be considered when planning the project. Unit- or organization-level opportunities to shift space without changing building infrastructure may be available. For more information, contact the Client Engagement Office and request to set up a consultation to review the space.


3. How can I change a wet lab to a dry lab (or vice versa)?

Building support and infrastructure can be significantly different for various types of laboratory space. Not all research buildings are readily adaptable to more intensive use. A project can be requested to change lab infrastructure and shift the lab type from a wet lab to a dry lab under very rare circumstances. Project initiators are highly encouraged to consider unit- and organization-level opportunities to convert space without changing lab infrastructure. Changing the lab type often requires additional resources, which can result in an increased total project cost and a longer project schedule than what would be required for an isolated lab upgrade or renovation.


4. How do I request additional space?

If your department requires additional space, contact your unit’s senior leader who can assist with an internal space analysis and consideration of options. If your unit would then like to request additional space, the senior leader (e.g., Dean or Vice Chancellor) can request additional information from the Space Management department.

5. If our unit receives new space, who is responsible for maintaining that space?

Per the new budget model, space is assigned to a unit and maintained by that unit. There are certain core services provided by the University- more information on core services and Service Level Agreements is available here.